The release of Beauty and the Beast on DVD is Tuesday, June 6, 2017. My inkling is many of you will be first in line to pick up the movie and bring it home for a fun movie night. However, this occasion requires more than the customary popcorn and soda. This is an occasion to be celebrated. So let’s do it up in grand style with a Grand Affair.
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a recommended item using the link provided, the MouseQuest will receive a small commission.
BELLE’S WORD SEARCH
To ramp up the excitement, start with this word search. It can be as simple as just completing the word search or if your kiddos are the extra competitive sort you could time them and count how many they find in the allotted time. At the end you can either reward them with a special prizes or give the winner first choice on where to sit to watch the movie. (I don’t know about your house but in our house everyone fights over the right side of the couch.)
ENCHANTED ROSE STRAWBERRIES
These ‘roses’ are a great addition to any Beauty and the Beast Family Movie Night. They are simple to make, beautiful to display and yummy to eat.
Grab your biggest plump, round strawberries and, starting at the bottom, make diagonal cuts partially through then fold the flap over. For the next row, start between two of the previous flaps and continue in rows until you in reached the top.
GASTON’S MOVIE HUNT
Keeping kid’s attention while watching a movie is never any easy feat. One way is to involve a competitive, participation game. The only way to win is to actively watch the movie and listen for the keywords.
- 1 large bag of M & Ms (whichever flavor you desire) – If you have a large family, you might need more than one bag.
Pick out all the red and yellow M & M’s. These will be the prizes. Divide evenly and place in bowls for each member of your family.
Every time one of the following words is spoken (or sung) players eat an M & M. The family member who finishes their bowl wins. Here are examples of words to listen for:
If you would like to limit your kid’s sugar intake you can substitute the M & Ms with grapes, blueberries and gold fish.
CHEF BOUCHE’S POPCORN
No movie is complete without popcorn but this isn’t just any popcorn. This is fun, flavored popcorn.
2 bags of microwave popcorn
1 Box Strawberry Jell-O
1 Box Lemon Jell-O
5 T Butter
8 T Corn Syrup
½ C Sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Pop both bags of popcorn according to package directions.
- Jell-O Batch #1:
- In a small saucepan combine:
- 2 ½ T Butter
- 4 T Corn Syrup
- 2 ½ T Strawberry Jell-O
- ¼ C Sugar
- In a small saucepan combine:
- Constantly stir over medium heat until well mixed. Then simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, empty one bag of popcorn into a large bowl. Try not to include any unpopped kernels.
- When sauce is ready, pour over popcorn.
- Toss and try to get all kernels covered with Jell-O mixture. (FYI, you will likely not be able to cover kernels completely.) WARNING: The Jell-O mixture will be VERY HOT so be careful while tossing.
- Place popcorn onto large cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- While first batch of popcorn is cooking start Jell-O Batch #2 with the Lemon Jell-O.
- Remove Batch # 1 popcorn from oven and toss then return to oven for an additional 7 minutes.
- Toss Batch #2 Jell-O mixture with second bag of popcorn.
- Place Batch #1 popcorn onto another large cookie sheet sprayed with cookie spray. Try to get kernels into a single layer.
- Place Batch #2 popcorn into oven for 7 minutes.
- Remove Batch #2 popcorn from oven and toss.
- Return popcorn to oven for an additional 7 minutes.
- Place Batch #2 popcorn onto another large cookie sheet sprayed with cookie spray. Try to get kernels into a single layer.
- Once both batches of popcorn have dried, mix together into a large serving bowl.
Not a bad way to celebrate the release of a classic Disney movie with your family!
Do you have any other ideas to add to a fun Beauty and the Beast family movie night? Tweet us @MQPodcast.
Sue Nowicki is an alumna of the 2014/15 Disney Parks Moms Panel. She splits her time between planning her next Walt Disney World vacation and being team mom to ten high-energy volleyball players where she fills the roles of secretary, navigator, head cheerleader, treasurer, athletic trainer and team psychologist. You can follow her on Twitter @MQPodcast.
You can follow our pixie-dusted journey here: Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for more great Disney and Lifestyle content.
2 thoughts on “Beauty and the Beast Family Movie Night”
This is really good stuff! Thanks for the ideas!