I guess everyone liked Beauty and the Beast as much as I did because the initial box office numbers are record-shattering. Through Sunday, March 19, it grossed $170 million. Here are some interesting stats about the movie thus far:
- Biggest domestic opening ever for a PG film beating Finding Dory’s $135 million
- Biggest worldwide opening ever for a PG film
- Biggest open by a Disney live-action remake, record previously held by Alice in Wonderland
- Beauty and the Beast now hold the record in the United Kingdom, Germany and Mexico as the highest March opening weekend.
- The Hollywood Reporter said this was the biggest “female-fueled film” opening which counts the percentage of tickets purchased by females. On Friday, that percentage was nearly 70% but fell to 60% as the weekend wore on.
- Biggest domestic Spring opening weekend
- Biggest domestic March opening weekend
- Biggest global and domestic IMAX opening for a PG film with an estimated $21 million on 1,026 screens
- 2nd best March debut of all-time internationally behind Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- 4th best Saturday gross at $62.7 million
- In the United Kingdom, Beauty and the Beast now holds the spot for the 5th biggest opening weekend ever at $24.3 million.
- 6th best Sunday gross at $43.4 million
- Beauty and the Beast is the 7th biggest domestic weekend opening ever edging out Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2. (Some are projecting that it will actually top $174 million when the official numbers are released which could boost it into 6th place over Iron Man 3.)
- It is the only movie in the top seven biggest domestic weekend openings that didn’t open in May, June or December.
- Six of the seven biggest domestic opening weekends are also Disney movies.
- 8th best opening weekend per theatre average gross of $40,380 for wide opening.
- Contributed to the 9th largest weekend ever at $249.52 million.
- 12th biggest gap between the 1st place and 2nd place movies beating Kong: Skull Island by $141.2 million.
- Beauty and the Beast holds both the 23rd (Friday) and 24th (Saturday) spot for biggest single day gross.
- The biggest ever Disney live-action opening weekend in China at $44.8 million.
- Beauty and the Beast outsold the rest of this weekend’s Top 49 COMBINED ($170 million vs. $86.2 million)!!
Credits: Madison.com, Washington Post, VanityFair.com, BoxOfficeMojo.com, BBC.com, Deadline.com
Sue Nowicki is an alumnae of the 2014/15 Disney Parks Moms Panel. She splits her time between planning her next Walt Disney World vacation and being team mom to ten high-energy volleyball players where she fills the roles of secretary, navigator, head cheerleader, treasurer, athletic trainer and team psychologist. You can follow her on Twitter @JazzinDisneyMom.