Here is your latest News From the World of Disney for the period of November 18 – December 1, 2016. Can SpaceShip Earth turn into the Death Star? Using digital projection Disney is going to try.
D23 ‘DESTINATION D’ WRAP-UP
D23 held their annual Destination D convention at Walt Disney World as usual some fun tidbits came from the presentations.
Here are a few of the items to emerge:
- The next generation of the MagicBand was revealed. The new MagicBand will have a ‘puck’ in the center which can also be hung on a keychain or a lanyard.
- Pandora will open at Disney’s Animal Kingdom sometime during the summer of 2017.
D23 Announced their 2017 Events: (Link)
- January 14: The Official Walt Disney Studios Tour — Presented by D23, Burbank, Calif.
- January: D23 Behind-the-Scenes Experience, TBA
- February 4: Tangled, Burbank, Calif.
- February 11: Tangled, Walt Disney World Resort
- February: Lunch with a Disney Legend: TBA, Walt Disney World Resort
- April 8: The Official Walt Disney Studios Tour — Presented by D23, Burbank, Calif.
- April: Lunch with a Disney Legend: TBA, Burbank, Calif.
- April: D23 Behind-the-Scenes Experience, TBA
- May 13: Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Burbank, Calif.
- May 13: Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Walt Disney World Resort
- May: Lunch with a Disney Legend: TBA, Walt Disney World Resort
- Spring: Behind-the-Scenes Experience, Walt Disney Birthplace, Chicago
- July 14–16: D23 Expo 2017, Anaheim, Calif.
- August 19: “Disney Afternoon” on the Lot, Burbank, Calif.
- August: Lunch with a Disney Legend: TBA, Burbank, Calif.
- September 9: The Official Walt Disney Studios Tour — Presented by D23, Burbank, Calif.
- September: D23 Behind-the-Scenes Experience, TBA
- Fall: D23’s Disney Fanniversary: Celebrating 35 Years of Epcot (more info coming in 2017)
- Fall: Sip & Stroll, Walt Disney World Resort
- October 29: Halloween on the Disney Lot, Burbank, Calif.
- November 18: The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Walt Disney World Resort
- November: Lunch with a Disney Legend: TBA, Burbank, Calif.
- December: Light Up the Season with D23, Burbank, Calif.
- December: D23 Holiday Event at Walt Disney World Resort
- Disney Parks and Resort Chairperson Bob Chapek challenged the imagineers to transform Epcot and ‘dream big’, explaining that guests should expect less emphasis on exhibits and replicas and more on characters and rides typical of most Disney theme parks.
WALT DISNEY WORLD PARKS NEWS
November 18 – Sports Destinations Management awarded the Amateur Athletic Union with their 2016 Champion of Economic Impact in Sports Tourism Award to the economic impact of the 2016 AAU Girls’ Junior Volleyball National Championship which is held yearly at ESPN Wide World of Sports. Generating over $52 million in economic impact and using 80,000 room nights, the 35,000 participants and their families are visiting not only Walt Disney World but also the local hotels, shops, restaurants and attractions. (Link)
November 21 – Private cabanas are now available in Magic Kingdom Park for $700. The cabanas will include lockable storage, charging stations, sunscreen, insect repellent, water, soft drinks and food. (Link)
November 21 – An all-new event is coming to Epcot. The Epcot International Festival of Art will be held on weekend from January 13 – February 20. The festival will celebrate visual, culinary and performing arts. (Link)
November 21 – The runDisney event calendar for 2017/18 has been released. 2018 will feature the 25th anniversary of the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend and the 10th anniversary of the Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend.
November 22 – Beginning November 29, Tiana’s Riverboat Party: Ice Cream Social & Parade Viewing will take place on the Liberty Bell in Magic Kingdom Park during the Festival of Fantasy Parade. The cost of the ice cream social is $49 for adults and $29 for children. (Link)
November 25 – Dates for 2017 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival released. Next year’s festival will begin almost two weeks earlier on August 31, 2017 and finish up on November 13, 2017. That gives you an extra 13 days to get your food on! (Link)
November 28 – Atlantic Dance Hall will have themed nights beginning December 1. The throwback nights will be “Take Me Back Tuesdays”, “Way Back Wednesdays” and “Thump Thursdays”. (Link)
November 29 – A new events called “Highway in the Sky Dine” will utilize the Resort Monorail to take guests on a 5 course progressive dinner starting and ending Disney’s Contemporary Resort. The cost is $150 per person. (Did you know you could do it yourself for cheaper and bring the whole family?) (Link)
December 1 – Fan-favorite Figment is returning to the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival as a 6-foot topiary. Also new to the festival this coming year will be two new Outdoor Kitchens. (Link)
December 2 – Serious mic drop by Disney! For a special event on December 5 (which is already full) Disney will be using digital projection to turn SpaceShip Earth into the Death Star. (Link)
December 2 – The following dates are currently sold out for this season’s Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party: December 18 & December 22 (Link)
December 1 – This year’s 4th Annual Epilepsy Awareness Day held at Disneyland Resort was the largest gathering of epilepsy patients and physicians in the world. It included over 90 exhibitors, 24 physicians/specialist seminars and a Rick Springfield benefit concert. Attendees also spent a full day at Disneyland. (Link)
DISNEY PARKS OF THE WORLD
November 21 – There will be a new luau at Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa called the Ka Wa’a Luau. Offered on Wednesdays and Saturdays, the luau will be narrated by Noa, a local storyteller, who will recount the takes of Oahu and the legend of demigod Maui. (Link)
November 22 – Hong Kong Disneyland will be getting a $1.4 billion expansion. New attractions will include Frozen and Marvel themed areas, a larger, remodeled castle and a new entertainment venue (Link)
DISNEY MOVIE/ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
November 18 – Emilia Clarke (Me Before You, Game of Thrones) has been cast in the upcoming Han Solo stand-alone Star Wars movie. (Link)
November 21 – The Star Wars “Greatest Celebration in the Galaxy” is coming to the Orange County Convention Center April 13-16, 2017. Guests and panels will be announced soon. (Link)
November 21 – Doc McStuffins is safe. Disney Junior will be bringing back our favorite Doc for a 5th season. (Link)
November 21 – The Cars 3 Trailer is out and OH BOY! does it look amazing!
November 28 – Moana sailed to a $82.1 million five-day holiday opening weekend which ranking it second behind the five-day opening holiday weekend of Frozen in 2014 ($93.6 million). (Link)
November 28 – Disney movies were well represented in the annual Annie Award Nominations. The Annie Awards celebrate achievement in animation. The Disney and Disney-related nominees were as follows:
- Best Animated Feature: Finding Dory, Moana and Zootopia
- Best Animated Short: Piper
- Best Animated Television/Broadcast Commercial: LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer
- Best Animated Television/Broadcast Production for Children: Elena of Avalor – Episode: A Day to Remember, Wander Over Yonder – Episode: My Fair Hatey
- Outstanding Achievement, Animated Effects in an Animated Production: Moana, Zootopia
- Outstanding Achievement, Animated Effects in a Live Action Production: Dr. Strange (Mirror Dimension), The BFG; Outstanding Achievement, Character Animation in a Feature Production: Finding Dory (All characters), Zootopia (Judy Hopps, Stu Hopps, Bonnie Hopps, Chief Bogo, Nick Wilde, Mr. Big, Koslov, Flash)
- Outstanding Achievement, Character Animation in a Live Action Production: Captain America: Civil War (Spider-man), The Jungle Book
- Outstanding Achievement, Character Design in an Animated Feature Production: Moana (Moana, Maui, Gramma Tala, Sina, Ancestor, Wayfinders, Lalotai Character, Te Ka), Zootopia (Nick Wilde, Judy Hopps, Flash, Chief Bogo, Clawhauser, Mt. Big, Fru Fru, Koslov, Bellwether, Yax, Finnich, Doug, Mr. & Mrs. Otterton, Duke Weaselton);
- Outstanding Achievement, Directing in an Animated Feature Production: Zootopia
- Outstanding Achievement, Music in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production: Disney Mickey Mouse – Episode: Dancevidaniya, Star Wars Rebels – Episode #2-24: Twilight of the Apprentice
- Outstanding Achievement, Production Design in an Animated Feature Production: Zootopia
- Outstanding Achievement, Storyboarding in an Animated TV/Broadcast Prduction: Disney Mickey Mouse – Episode: Road Hogs
- Outstanding Achievement, Storyboarding in an Animated Feature Production: Finding Dory, Moana, Zootopia
- Outstanding Achievement, Voice Acting in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production: Star Wars Rebel: Lars Mikkelsen;
- Outstanding Achievement, Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production: Moana (Auli’I Cravalho), Zootopia (Jason Bateman)
- Outstanding Achievement, Writing in an Animated Feature Production: Zootopia
- Outstanding Achievement, Editorial in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production: Disney Mickey Mouse, Gravity Falls, Star Wars Rebels
- Outstanding Achievement, Editorial in an Animated Feature Production: Moana, Zootopia
DISNEY SPRINGS NEWS
November 18 – D-Living Home Décor Store to open at Disney Springs on November 23. (Link)
DISNEY FUNNY OF THE WEEK
This week’s funny comes to us from iFunny.
Current Refurbishment of Note:
|Monorail||Express Beams Overnight Closures: Sundays – 12:30a – 9:30a
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday Thursdays: 11:30a – 6:00p
|Planet Hollywood||WDW – Hollywood Studios||1/6/2016 – 1/3/2017|
|Disneyland Railroad||Disneyland||1/10/2016 – Summer 2017|
|Fantasmic!||Disneyland||1/10/2016 – Summer 2017|
|Mark Twain Riverboat||Disneyland||1/10/2016 – Summer 2017|
|Sailing Ship Columbia||Disneyland||1/10/2016 – Summer 2017|
|Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes||Disneyland||1/10/2016 – Summer 2017|
|Pirates Lair||Disneyland||1/10/2016 – Summer 2017|
|Fulton’s Crab House (Paddlefish)||WDW – Disney Springs||4/4 – 12/31, 2016|
|Gaspararilla Island Grill||WDW – Grand Floridian||10/17 – 12/14, 2016|
|Wilderness Lodge Hidden Springs Pool||WDW||10/26/2015 – 2017|
Upcoming Refurbishments of Note:
|Blizzard Beach||WDW||10/23 – 12/24, 2016|
|Stitch’s Great Escape||WDW – Magic Kingdom||11/27 – 12/17, 2016|
|It’s Tough to be a Bug||Disneyland||11/28/2016|
|Haunted Mansion||WDW – Magic Kingdom||11/28 – 12/2, 2016|
|Big Thunder Mountain||Disneyland||12/5 – 7, 2016|
|Splash Mountain||WDW – Magic Kingdom||12/7 – 8, 2016|
|Typhoon Lagoon||WDW||12/25 – 3/11, 2016|
|Liberty Square Riverboat||WDW – Magic Kingdom||1/3 – 1/12, 2016|
|Kali River Rapids||WDW – Animal Kingdom||1/3 – 1/29, 2017|
|Walt Disney World Railroad||WDW – Magic Kingdom||1/9 – 2/16, 2016|
|Hall of Presidents||WDW – Magic Kingdom||1/17 – 6/29/2017|
Upcoming Permanent Closures of Note:
|Twilight Zone Tower of Terror||Disney’s California Adventure||1/3/2017|
|Stitch’s Great Escape||WDW – Magic Kingdom||1/3/2017|
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS
|SPECIAL OFFER||LOCATION||OFFER TIME||Booking Deadline|
|Special Disney Cruise Line Rates for Florida Residents||DCL||1/20 & 1/25 sailings||12/4/2016|
|Special Disney Cruise Line Military Rates||DCL||12/30 & 1/8 sailings||12/4/2016|
|Members of the U.S. Military: Enjoy Specially Priced Theme Park Military Tickets in 2016||WDW
|4/2 – 12/19, 2017||12/16/16|
|Half off La NoubaTM Kids||WDW||5/31 – 12/16, 2016||12/16/16|
|Members of the U.S. Military: Get great rates at select Disney resort hotels through December 19, 2016||WDW
|1/3 – 12/19, 2016
4/2 – 12/19, 2016
|Enjoy a delightful kid-size 3-Night/2-day vacation package – starting at $1,032 for a family of 3 at Disney’s All-Star Music Resort||WDW||1/2 – 2/16, 2/20 – 4/6, 2017||12/21/16|
|Save up to $500 on 5-Night, 6-day room, ticket and dining plan package at select Disney resort hotels||WDW||1/1 – 3/7, 2017||12/21/16|
|Save up to 25% on rooms at select Disney resort hotels and give the gift of magic||WDW||1/1 – 4/8, 2017||12/21/16|
|Discover 4-night/4-day vacation packages for a family of 4 at Disney’s All-Star Music Resort – starting at $1,896||WDW||1/2 – 2/16, 2/20 – 4/6, 2017||12/21/16|
|Passholders: Save up to 25% on weekday rooms at Disneyland resort hotels and get swept away in the holiday spirit||DL||10/23 – 12/22, 2016||12/22/16|
|Passholders: Celebrate the holiday season with great rates at select Disney resort hotels||WDW||11/6 – 11/10, 11/13 – 11/22, 11/26 – 12/23, 2016||12/24/16|
|Just $85 per day for a 3-day, 1 park per day ticket||DL||12/31/16|
|13-Month passport for the price of 12||DL||2/11/17|
|LIMITED TIME: Get a 4-Park Magic Ticket for Only $70 Per Day||WDW||Now – May 26, 2017
(Blackout: 12/17/16 – 1/2/17 and 4/10 – 21, 2017)
|Explore All 4 Theme Parks with a 4-Park Magic Ticket Vacation Package for a Family of 4 – Starting at $1,675||WDW||3/5/2017|
|Start the New Year in an Enchanted Way and Save up to 25% on select rooms at Disneyland Resort Hotel||DL||Sun – Thu 1/8 – 4/20, 2017||3/9/17|
|Passholders: Save on stays at Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa in Ko Olina, Hawaii||AULANI||1/2 – 3/24, 2017||3/20/17|
|Passholders: Spring into 2017 with great rates at select Disney resort hotels||WDW||1/1 – 4/8, 2017||4/7/17|
|Passholders: Stay in the Middle of the Magic with a Great Seasonal Package||DL||Sun – Thu 1/8 – 4/20, 2017||4/20/17|
|Members of the U.S. Military: Enjoy Specially Priced Theme Park Military Tickets in 2017||WDW
|1/1 – 4/8, 4/24 – 12/19, 2017||12/16/17|
|Members of the U.S. Military: Get great rates at select Disney resort hotels||WDW
|1/1 – 12/19, 2017
(Not valid 4/9 – 4/23, 2017)
Sue Nowicki is an alumnae of the 2014/15 Disney Parks Moms Panel. She splits her time between planning her next Walt Disney World vacation and being team mom to ten high-energy volleyball players where she fills the roles of secretary, navigator, head cheerleader, treasurer, athletic trainer and team psychologist. You can follow her on Twitter @JazzinDisneyMom.